Saturday, April 04, 2009

CHUCK ELSEY '67

4/2/2009

Gloria,

I wanted to tell everyone that I finally finished my three year project building my Van's RV6 airplane. I got it signed off by the FAA a few days before my 60th birthday and I took it to the air on Friday, March 27. The plane has been a monumental project, started over three years ago. It cruises at about 200 mph, is IFR capable, has state of the art avionics. It holds two people and about 100 lbs. of baggage. It has about 15,000 flush rivets and has a range of about 720 miles. Although this airplane comes as a kit, you basically have to bend and shape every piece of it. As you can tell, I am very proud of it. I guess all those years hanging around the USAF was worth something. Never lost my love for airplanes.

I have attached pictures of the plane & my grand kids, Ian & Kelsey. Please post on your blog. Anyone looking can generally find me at Lone Star Exec., Conroe TX. Just ask anyone.

Thanks

Chuck Elsey, '67
CElsey2001@AOL.COM
















1 comment:

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

Gloria - The RV series of airplanes are very capable and, from the RV pilots I have talked to, a lot of fun to fly. Chuck is understandably proud. It takes a tremendous amount of dedication and vision by the builder, and understanding by the family. It sounds like a nice cross-country trip to Conroe (130 nm heading 077T) for some ooh and ahhing and lunch.
Thanks, doug greenleaf