Saturday, August 30, 2008

CONNIE BEST '69


Gloria—Thank you for all your work in organizing the reunion and for the opportunity to post on your blog. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about my classmates. It brought back a lot of great memories of RHS and the wonderful people there.

My name is Connie Best and I attended all four years at RHS graduating in 1969. My plans for attending UT changed that summer when my dad retired. My parents were both from South Carolina and decided that we would move back “home.” I really lost touch with everyone so I am looking forward to the reunion.

Here’s my quick summary. I graduated from the University of South Carolina (the real USC) with a degree in Psychology; worked for 5 years; went back to Texas for 3 years to get a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology at N.T.S.U.; and came back to Charleston where I have been on the faculty at the Medical University of South Carolina since 1983. I am a Professor in the Psychiatry Department where I teach, see patients, and do research primarily in the field of post traumatic stress disorder. I feel so fortunate because I like my work and the people that I work with, and because of my work I have had the opportunity to do a lot of interesting things. For example, I was invited to be the “expert” on Oprah twice (obviously, I’m no Dr. Phil).

But as much as I like my work, the thing that is most important to me is my family. I guess I was sort of a “late bloomer” in the family department. I didn’t get married until I was 40 and had a baby at 43. I met my husband, Paul, through the Navy Reserve and talked him into leaving land-locked Georgia and moving to beautiful Charleston with the great ocean breezes (and a little bit of humidity). We have been happily married for 17 years. Paul is now retired from dentistry and we are both retired from the Navy Reserves. We have a 14 year old daughter named Lucy who is the light of our lives. All you former Air Force kids might be pleased to know that Lucy is continuing in the military tradition by joining the A.F. JROTC as she begins her freshman year in high school. Our family is rounded out by Paul’s two daughters (one in Atlanta and one in Phoenix), two son-in-laws, and our soon to be 4th grandchild. Sadly, my dad passed away in 1978. However, my mom lives in an independent facility about 4 miles from us, and even though she has dementia, her long term memory is good and she remembers many of you. And we all still look like the pictures in the yearbook, right?

I can’t wait to see everyone. Go Ro-Hawks!

No comments: