Monday, March 16, 2009

PHIL MOSELEY '64 - UPDATE 3/15/2009




Everything is fine with us. We just got back from a day in Baltimore checking out a possible wedding site for our recently engaged daughter Kendall. It's amazing how far in advance those places are booked. While she and her fiance are both docs at Johns Hopkins and have lots of friends there, we're also still looking at locations in northern Virginia. I don't actually get a vote. I'm assured that hey will, however, allow me to write the checks.

We're still splitting our time between Alexlandria, VA and Southport, N.C., but Norah and I get tugged in opposite directions all too often. Her best golf buddies and other friends are in the D.C. area while I prefer the waters around Cape Fear to fulfill my love for the ocean and offshore fishing. As a result, it's not unusual for us to be apart a week or two a month. Seperate but equal retirements are not exactly what either of us signed up for 34 years ago. I've spent so much time on the water over the past ten years that I just completed my Coast Guard certification to be a licensed captain. I have no intention of hiring myself out as a charter fishing captain or to do other things that require the license. It's simply something I wanted to do to make me better at my hobby and a safer skipper for my guests aboard our boat , the "Yellow Rose." The wives of some of my regular crew members appreciate it. I guess their husbands are still worth more to them alive than dead.

Our son Clay graduated from UNC Wilmington last summer and started a new business with a partner. Unfortunately, the economy went into its nose dive a couple of weeks later and they had to shut it down. He's now in the D.C. area interviewing in a tough market. Clay will do well once he gets his start, but he's going through a rough patch like so many others are these days. Happily he's got parents who still enjoy his company and are glad to have him around the house while he continues his search. I rather like having a chauffeur and workout buddy while I'm home in Virginia, but I do miss having him with me as part of the crew when I'm sixty miles out in the Atlantic chasing tuna and other creatures.

I've been spending less time on the computer lately and haven't kept up as I should with your blog. I promise to do better. What you are doing becomes more important to all of us as we get a little older. If you're still in Colorado, please say "hi" for me to whoever you're staying with at the moment. You should have barged in on Jim Dieterich up in Denver while you were at it. Also please give my best to Danny. We enjoyed meeting him when you joined us for dinner back in the '90s with Linda (formerly Molleston).

All the best . . .

Phil
To see more pictures of Phil and his catch click here:

NOTE FROM GLORIA: We didn't get around to getting to Denver so Mike Hunt, Jimmy Dieterich and whoever else lives up there - we'll just have to catch you the next time!!!

No comments: