Friday, March 06, 2009

JANET WATKINS JENDRON - BOD President of API


Friday, March 06, 2009: Attachment Parenting International Announces a New President of the Board of Directors:

API is now fortunate to look to leadership from a long-time friend, supporter and API Board member - Janet Jendron. After consideration for nomination by the Board nominating committee, and careful contemplation by Janet, she was elected Board president unanimously by the Board. We are excited to have her guidance and leadership into the next era of support to families and the AP community. Janet brings not only her passion for attachment parenting and API, but also many years of experience and gifts in nonprofit management and fundraising. Barbara Nicholson is thrilled and confident in the Board's choice: "Janet is a long time champion of mothers, fathers and babies and brings so much dedication and commitment to the organization." She served for eleven years on the LLLI Board of Directors and many years on the LLLI Alumnae Association Council. Janet has also served on numerous other non-profit Boards, including church-related and wish granting organizations. Read more about Attachment Parenting International at www.attachmentparenting.org Here's excerpts from Janet's Welcome Letter: The decision to have children is to make an investment of love. As parents, we need to surround ourselves with environments and people who encourage us without judgment. As an organization, Attachment Parenting International (API) embodies this attitude of acceptance and love. I deeply appreciate the inclusive approach that API brings to the world of parents, as well as the common-sense approach to our everyday lives. I love the way that API combines clinical research to anchor the heart decisions we make every single day, regardless of our children's ages or stages.With this passion for API, I am absolutely thrilled to accept the position of Chair of the Board of Directors of API. Very recently, my mother and my mother in law both passed away unexpectedly. They were both bottle-feeding mothers, and watched my early decision to breastfeed, let the babies into our bed, and so forth. They embraced our choice of attachment parenting with practical, emotional and spiritual passion. They were my mothering soul mates. They profoundly influenced my desire to embrace all the parents I've encountered through the years, with a premise that we all want the best for our children. I'm excited about re-focusing my efforts to support parents worldwide, and about the work we have ahead of us. I'm grateful for the many years of experience I've been given in the non-profit arena, with the hope and prayer that I can use that experience to help API grow in exciting new directions.Parent-to-parent support is critical to changing our world. As my four children and four-year-old granddaughter have grown, I've loved supporting other parents in similar situations, whether it was at church, at work, in the neighborhood, on the soccer field or at the dance studio. I've learned the importance of giving grace to each other, while still focusing on our common goals, and always being open to learning from each other.One of the LLL Founders said "We need to focus on helping the mother breastfeed, and then let the baby teach the mother." My children have certainly taught me my critical lessons in life, especially about the importance of humility! As an organization, API is full of men and women with incredible talent, expertise, humility, balance and passion. I'm excited to move forward with all of you.-- Janet Jendron


No comments: