Thursday, September 04, 2008

RON BERGQUIST '64



I'm finally getting around to replying, and not a moment too soon either. I know you all are going to have a wonderful time at the reunion and I will downing a glass in friendship and collegiality with you all, though from at a distance. I have totally enjoyed reading the recent postings and finding out about what everyone has been doing. I thought it was especially interesting to read Cal Sumner's story (though he will always be Stan the Man to me) and to realize how all of our paths crossed. Stan went to high school in Hawaii in 1960-63; I started elementary school there in 1950-53. He lived on Pope AFB and Fort Bragg as a kid; we lived right next to it from 1994-2004, having many of the same experiences with the planes, paratroopers, and excitement.We all have to thank our folks for having chosen the Air Force life and having taken us all along on the ride. It made for interesting times, then and now.While we are staying here in North Carolina during the reunion (my students here at UNC are a sort of youth tonic and I really enjoy learning from them), I'll be there in spirit and cheering for my brother, David, in the golf match. (David's personal motto should be "Undefeated in brotherly athletic competition since 1968, and maybe even since 1967"). I hope you are planning to post many colorful, enlightening, and even potentially embarrassing photos on the blog after the big event.


Love, Ron
Ron Bergquist '64
ps: By the way, you probably can't read it, but the small plaque on the wall behind me in the photo is one my sister sent me years ago. It reads "Home is where the Air Force sends you."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gloria,
Just read Ron Bergquest on the money,
in a nut shell, commentary. Ron, "I'm still Stan..."



STAN "Cal" SUMNER_#14____
aka "Fiesta Hat King" __
of SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS