Thursday, July 31, 2008

JANIS THOMPSON FIELDER '69





Hi Gloria,

Feel free to post this on your blog; I had great fun reading ALL of your blog today and looking at all the pictures. You are doing an amazing job with it. Thanks so much.


My name is Janis Thompson Fielder; I graduated in 1969. I think I was one of the few Randolph High School students to be there during my entire high school career. (Actually, my dad was transferred to RAFB in 1962; I attended 5th grade on base at the elementary school, and then on to RHS for 6th-12th grades). (Might have something to do with the fact that my dad worked in the personnel department - so we were able to stay put for awhile.) We lived on base until I graduated, then moved to Universal City where my parents still live in the same house, almost 40 years later!!

Quick summary of my 39 years since graduation: - I attended (then) Southwest Texas State Teachers College (good old SWTSC!) Graduated with a degree in speech pathology in 1973. Taught speech therapy one year in Schertz Cibolo-Universal City ISD. - Married my college sweetheart in 1974 (well, we really started dating when I was a junior at RHS - he was already at San Marcos and a Schertz Cibolo grad - Ronny Fielder, class of '67.) Just had our 34th anniversary. - We lived in Arlington, TX for 5 years. He worked in retail and I did speech therapy. - Along came our first child in 1979; Daniel Lee Fielder. Moved to Oklahoma City when he was 6 weeks old. Missed Texas too much, and came back to the Houston area in 1980. Been here ever since. - Second child, Katherine Jean, born in 1982. We lived in Webster, TX (near NASA). - Moved to Deer Park, TX in 1990, and then to Pasadena, TX in 1995. Still here. Planning a move out to the country northeast of Houston sometime in the near future. - After teaching in special education for 30 years, I retired in 2004. Just in time to get ready for a first grandchild -- son Daniel and wife Robin's 1st child, Gabriel Lee Fielder. I was extremely lucky to be able to be a "live-in nanny" for much of Gabe's first year of life (they live about 45 min. from us; I "commuted" to work and came home on weekends! Great job!! - Daughter Katy was married last summer to Richard Glass, a Baytown resident. They met playing volleyball at a local recreation center. She now teaches elementary P.E. in the Pasadena school district. - Husband Ron has been a real estate appraiser for the past 20+ years; it has kept him busy until recently. Problems in the mortgage industry have slowed things down quite a bit. He is now putting together a security company for this area. He's not ready to retire. - But I surely was!! So now I occupy myself with photography (grandbabies make such great subjects!), scrapbooking, and making DVD slideshows for weddings and other occasions. It's so cute to watch the bride and groom grow up in pictures!

Anyway, I have really fond memories of RHS and all things "RoHawk". Everytime I visit Universal City (several times a year to visit family), driving on 1604 and passing RHS makes me think of many good times: marching on the perimeter road in the band to prepare for walking in the Battle of Flowers parade each spring, marching in numerous half-time football shows, watching basketball games in the gym, the Wednesday "roast beef and rolls" lunch, Mr. Porter's math class (he caught me chewing gum in class one time!), Mrs. McCorkindale's Spanish class, playing tennis on the varsity team, and playing the clarinet in the band (played with former astronaut Carl Meade in a quartet for Solo & Ensemble contest - must have been in '67 or '68) - I still have my clarinet! Have threatened to turn it into a lamp more than once.I'm attaching a couple of photos - "Then" and "Now". Would love to hear from some former schoolmates. Not sure if I will be able to attend the reunion; will work on that.

Janis Thompson Fielder, Class of 1969

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nicce!