Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Basketball handout from 1964-1965

Until two years ago, the 1964-1965 Ro-Hawk basketball team had the school record for proceeding the farthest in the state basketball championship competition for our size school. That year, we were undefeated in district play, won bi-district and regional, but lost in the semi-final round of the state tournament. 

Obviously, there is a lot of physical practice that lies behind going deep into playoffs, but there is also substantial "thinking" practice that accompanies the "body work".  I was reminded of that recently when I came across the handout Coach Leschber gave us at the beginning of the season. I've included it in this post. 

Guys who played for Coach will recognize his style and, particularly, his sense of humor.  I grinned as I re-read this line from his defensive counsel - "If you happen to lose your man - - take a straight dash for his basket - - this is where he will be." - just as I had smiled the first time I read it a half-century ago.  For those who played for Coach, I hope this handout will bring back good memories.  For those seeing it for the first time, I hope you'll see another reason for Coach's successful seasons at Randolph. 
 
Regards, 

Jerry 


(Thanks to Ro-Hawk teammate Tom "Flame" Madsen who expressed an interest in seeing this again when I mentioned I had found it.)








No comments: