Tuesday, May 10, 2016

AF Manual 50-21 - Living for Leadership

Bill Borellis asked Gloria to post this note and a copy of the Air Force Manual he mentions.  We were not able to post the manual in the PDF format that Bill provided, so we've had to reconstruct it as a series of "pictures".  To read each page, just click on the small image and it should open in a size more readable by sexagenarians.  Here's Bill's note:

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT IN THE SECTION BELOW!

A few months ago I revisited some of the memorial items I kept in mothballs after my Dad passed away.  Since that time we all have had the privilege of viewing the "Final Toast" which sparked a lot of honorable and character driven conversation concerning our parents and their generation.  I'll echo in with everyone else in toasting them and their accomplishments.  What an honor it has been to share in their lives knowing the adversity and sacrifices they endured to give all of us the freedoms we have.  Our relationship with our parents and each other throughout these last 40 or 50 years is more than just a hip hip hurrah of the good ole days! Those days certainly had their endearing memories but as Shakespeare says: they are like poor players who strut and fret their hour upon the stage and are heard no more!  We were given something truly special, a blueprint for life, paid for out of sacrifice and love and supported by the ideals, morals, and values of a phenomenal generation. 

We are so very lucky to have and have had leadership such as theirs in our lives!  Ironically it seems like the older we get, the smarter we are.  'Cause there have been many times over these passing years when I thought I was so smart and my parents and their friends were missing some tunes. Wrong! 

That brings me to the file I've attached to put on the RHS Blog Site.  It's entitled "Living for Leadership".  We all know that most of our Dads enlisted in the Air Force or other Branches of the Armed Services somewhere in the early 1940's and were in WWII and the other Theaters that followed.  The Manual that I found in my Dad's files is entitled "Living for Leadership", Department of the Air Force Manual 50-21 and was released in August of 1955. It was initially meant for the development of leadership in the ranks of: commissioned officers, non-commissioned officers, supervisors, and civilian administrators. What really stoked my fire was how emphatically God and Country and our Fellow Man explode across the 71 pages of this manual! It's beautiful and the "Ideal" it poses is so in need in these United States of America, right now!  It's a crying shame that one person, or a small minority, can remove God, so easily from our Country's Creed & Value System.  I hope that you all enjoy the content of this manual as much as I do.    

Be well, Prosper and God bless – Bill Borellis 











































2 comments:

Mike Scott 67 said...

Bill,

Your comments touch our hearts and bring back many special memories. I have used my parents life as a standard to live my life. Asking myself what would mom or dad done or said when I confronted difficulties, during my adult life.

These Army Air Corp men and women had to be quick learners. My Dad was in the class of 41-C as a flying cadet when Pearl Harbor was attacked.

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

This comment is from Lynette Walker Allen (Mrs. Walker)

" What a beautiful tribute that Bill wrote. Wouldn't
his dad be proud?
Thanks for sharing."
Lynette
calynet@sbcglobal.net