Sunday, August 27, 2006

JERRY BALL, '65

Gloria,

Interesting news on your RHS website. Thanks for the update - and for making it easy for us to get to the update! Just "click" and you're there.

There was also some news in my family this week. Here's a hospital picture of my latest grandchild. My fourth grandchild overall, she is the first child of my oldest son Richard and his wife Kathy. The other three belong to my second son, Scott.

Please feel free to post this picture on the Ro-Hawk web site.


Evangeline Elisabeth Ball
Born 8/24/2006 at 8lbs 7oz



On the other end of life, you may recall that I sent you an earlier e-mail earlier this month telling you that I had the privilege of going to the funeral service for Mrs Carolyn (Seago) Clay - widow of Col. Richard L. Clay and the mother of our classmate Babs and Babs' brother Rick. You may remember how impressed I was by that service:

"The minister gave one of the most meaningful sermons I've ever heard at a funeral. The chapel at the cemetery had the seats filled and people standing around the walls. There was a lot of community love shown for this family."

Babs e-mailed me a picture of her and me that was taken at Rick's house on the day of the funeral. I don't know that this photo is of interest for the web site, but I thought you might like to see how much kinder the years have been to her than to your balding, broadening, and bearded e-mail writer!



I was interested in Ron Bergquist's note about completing his PhD. Do you know what field of study he earned the degree in? I didn't see that information in his note. Just curious.

Gloria, I want to once again thank you for continuing to keep all of us far flung RHS alumni connected. As we continue to gain descendants and lose parents and classmates, I appreciate now, even more than I did in my "callow youth," the efforts you make keep us informed of life's passages - or "phases and stages" to use Willie Nelson's terminology.

God bless,

Jerry
jcrsdj@aol.com


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jerry asked about the field of study. I got my degree in Information and Library Science and the dissertation was a study of several small town public libraries in North Carolina, comparing how they evolved with how the profession of librarianship thinks they should have evolved. This is a field I would have never predicted for myself, but I find it very interesting and enjoy the interactions with the students.