Saturday, July 04, 2015

Happy Independence Day, Ro-Hawks!


Happy Independence Day to Ro-Hawks of all years!

After my dad retired from full-time employment and moved from Dallas back to the San Antonio area, he used to fly an American flag on the front of his house every day.  I worked at Randolph Air Force Base then - not far from where Dad and Mom lived - and stopped by regularly to see them even if I only was there for a minute to give them a hug.  If I noticed Dad's flag  was getting a little threadbare, I would bring him a new one, which always brought a grin to his face no matter how much he would protest that he could buy his own flag.

I bought the last flag not too long before we lost Dad in February of 2010.  My mother is deaf and went to live with my widowed sister Janet (RHS '67) as soon as Dad was gone.  I stopped by their now-abandoned house and brought the flag home with me.

Today, as with all Federal holidays, I got up this morning and flew the flag on the front of my house.  Unlike Dad, I only put the flag up on holidays.  As I walk out and unfurl it, I think of Dad and his generation of military people.  I think of veterans of our generation who saw few accolades for wearing "the Nation's Cloth".  And I think a lot about today's soldiers, sailors, Marines, and airmen who face an implacable foe in far-flung places while becoming an ever-diminishing proportion of the population with first hand experience in the military.  May God bless and protect these families.

But, on Independence Day, I think most of what the holiday used to mean - a shared pride of country that united, if but for a day, people of differing political and other passions.  I fear that sense of unity is forever gone.  And that is a loss to America and Americans.

So, tonight, after having watched the magnificent fireworks televised from the Nation's Capital and now hearing the booms of outlawed fireworks sounding throughout my neighborhood, I think back in satisfaction on delightful days of Independence Days past.  Of grilled steaks with the family in locations all over the world.  Of sitting with a half million other spectators to watch fireworks over the Washington Monument.  These and many other memories allow me to mean the anonymous quotation at the foot of my memo pad - "If tomorrow starts without me; thanks to God for a wonderful life!"

Happy Independence Day to the friends of my youth!  I hope it was a good one for you.

Jerry Ball

No comments: