Monday, January 09, 2006

GILDA CARNEY SUMNERS - Class of '66 Passes away

Please check here for the obit for Gilda - a beautiful girl and woman with a bright smile. Post your thoughts.

http://obits.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?type=0&id=50021

Sumners
01/08/2006
Gilda C. Sumners entered into rest January 6, 2006 in San Antonio at the age of 57. She was born December 18, 1948 in Pensacola, FL to the late Colonel Gilbert Carney and Lillian (Mock) Carney. Gilda, called Cissy by her friends, was a homemaker, and known as Mimi to all her grandchildren. As a young woman she was a former Miss Randolph AFB and professional model. As a homemaker she had a flair for style and decorating and she was devoted to her children and grandchildren. She is survived by her husband Thomas David Sumners; daughter Holly Blakely; grandchildren Morgan, Jordan, Luke, and Payton; son Chris Trevino; sister Rhonda Tollstrup; and mother Lillian Carney. Visitation will be held from 4:00 until 7:00 p.m. Sunday, at the funeral home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 p.m. Monday, January 9, 2006 at Sunset Funeral Home. The committal service will follow at Sunset Memorial Park. Sunset Funeral Home.

4 comments:

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

Gloria,

We all hate to hear about any of the classmates dying, but of all the ones I've heard about, this one hits the hardest - probably because I would count her in the 5 or 6 people I knew best in high school. We dated briefly, we talked for hours at the only reunion I attended (1995, I think), and she even visited me once when I lived in Florida. I might have tried to make the funeral if it wasn't today (like 4 hours ago). VERY sad news, indeed. Dave

dmcdowell@jurassicom.com

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

Gloria, I am so sad to hear this news. I can’t believe we have lost Patti Tyler and Gilda in one year.

Teresa
teresa.gauger@dhs.gov

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

So sad. I visited with her at the 25th year reunion. That's last time I talked w/her.

I was at the Carneys' house when my dad had his heart attack in 1964. It was a holiday, and I was there in the evening. Called to ask my mom if I could go off base with the girls and some fellas to get dinner. Mom said we should come home, she would feed us. Arrived at the house to find my dad flat out on the bed and Mom hovering over him. She managed to get him into the car and drove him to the hospital herself. The rest is history.

I actually spent a fair amount of time with both Rhonda and Gilda my last 2 years of high school. She was younger than I am.

Do you remember (or were you aware of) the days that Rhonda did not come to school because she and her mother had colored her hair and it came out all wrong (green or orange)? They always made me giggle.

Time marches on.

Babs.
bclay@lockeliddell.com
_____________________

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

She was such a cutie. Heaven is in for a treat.

Love,
Jan Owenby Link
jgl1108@msn.com